Saturday 23 December 2017

'It's great up North'

Recently I went to the North: Fashioning Identity exhibition at Somerset House and it was better than I had expected. I have a fascination with the North and I wish I grew up there. I love the culture, especially in 1990s Manchester such as the Hacienda club scene and indie bands from there. The exhibition was full of photography, fashion and art. It features artists Shirley Baker, Nick Knight, Paul Smith and Corinne Day.



Paul Smith's Manchester-themed pieces 

It was numbered 1-10 and I had my favourites. Number 4 was all about pubs, clubs, bars, stadiums and places of work. The typical British society that I am familiar with and how football unites and shapes communities. 5. i-D magazine is still one of my favourite magazines today and back then they had just started the iconic straight-ups of what people were wearing in real life on the streets. 8. Global Influence. I wasn't aware of the rest of the world connection with the North because of London's presence as a fashion capital. However, people know and have a perception through the music, graphics and style that comes out of the North. These teenage obsessions, heroes of their youth or characters they wanted to be. For example, Antwerp born designer and one of menswear's most respected innovators, Raf Simons took inspiration from an A/W03 for his SS18 collections. 15 years apart and Simons used graphics from an archive by Peter Saville. Saville is known for having his designs on record sleeves and posters for Factory Records such as bands like Joy Division in the late 70s and early 80s. It showcased the casual scenes of the 80s such as the passion for brands and labels from international ones like Lacoste to British luxury Burberry. Although these trends came in and out quickly. Unlike this, Adidas remains consistent today. Also, Samba and ZX running shoes were adopted by clubbers and football fans. They dedicated shoes and garments to key towns and collaborated with popular northern figures. 9. I sat in the comfy home style setting of this room and watched a video about how early influences form favourite songs to adored items of clothing often form starting points for later work of designers and image makers. This was quite humbling to hear.


It was engaging, lively and full of energy. Theres so much attention on London for British fashion and it was refreshing to see it from other cities. I think because I am from London as well I find it boring and repetitive and I want to see something new and different. Like Lou Stoppard said, its "different from regular fantasy fashion exhibitions as its real and simple." That attracts me more.

Love,
Shaleen
xxx
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig